In the Media & Strategic Communication Department, we recognize the importance of having work experience on your resume before your graduate. We also know what it takes to succeed in today's business climate.
Our internship program was developed to compliment the learning you receive in the classroom, while at the same time, ensuring you gain valuable experience and contacts in the corporate world. Iona University's proximity to New York City, the communications capital of the world, provides unlimited opportunities for internship placements. The department has also created strong ties with companies throughout the tri-state area.
The bottom line is that no matter what your area of specialization or where you want to work, our internship program can help you gain a competitive advantage.
The Media & Strategic Communication Department is pleased to offer both undergraduate and graduate students the opportunity to gain valuable practical skills while earning credits toward their degree.
MSC 498 (for undergraduates) and PR 699 (for graduates) are offered continually throughout the year to afford students flexibility with scheduling. Students must complete a minimum of 90 hours of work during their internship. These hours must be spread out over the full semester.
Aside from the work that is completed on the job site, students are responsible for attending periodic class meetings and submitting regular progress reports. The final grade for the internship is based on the progress reports and the supervisor's report submitted at the end of the internship.
To receive credit for an internship, students must be registered in either MSC 498 or PR 699 prior to starting the internship. Both of these courses require permission of the advisor to register (closed course card).
For more information about completing an internship contact:
Dr. Robert J. Petrausch
Office: Murphy Center, Room 340A
Dr. Natalie Redcross
Office: Murphy Center, Room 223
The Media & Strategic Communication Department, in concert with Iona University, is committed to assisting our students with finding the internship opportunity which best suits their interests and career goals. Although students are responsible for finding their own internship, there are several resources available to aid them with their search.
Gerri Ripp Career Center
Throughout the year the Gerri Ripp Career Center at Iona University sponsors on campus internship fairs featuring companies from Westchester County, New York City and surrounding areas. These internship fairs are open to all students and provide valuable industry contacts. In addition, Iona University's Career Services department offers ongoing employment and internship related services to students and alumni.
Media & Strategic Communication Department
The Media & Strategic Communication Department maintains several additional resources designed specifically for our students. The main source of internship information is the Internship Bulletin Board located in the hallway on the 3rd floor of Murphy Center. The Media & Strategic Communication Internship Bulletin Board features current positions that companies have sent directly to the department. These positions are sorted by specialty area for quick and easy referral.
An online listing of current and past internship information is available online. Please note, internships are listed in the order they were received. Students interested in current opportunities should start at the top of the list.
Past postings are stored in the Media & Strategic Communication Library (3rd Floor, Murphy Center) in the internship binders. These binders serve as excellent resources for those people looking for contact information for a variety of companies.
Students enrolled in MSC 498 or MSC 699 are reminded that the course instructors are there to assist them with their internship search and provide guidance with the selection of their internship location.
Curious to find out what types of companies offer internships? Students from both our undergraduate and graduate classes have completed internships with the following companies:
- 103.5 KTU
- Alt 92.3
- Antiques Magazine
- New York
- Billboard Talent Net
- Brooklyn Nets
- CBS 2
- CBS News
- CBS Sports Radio
- Entertainment Tonight
- European Journalism Network
- Fox News
- Hill & Knowlton
- Hot 97
- Inside Edition
- Interview Magazine
- Iona Athletics/ESPN
- Late Night with David Letterman
- Late Night with Seth Meyers
- Madison Square Garden
- Marvel Entertainment
- New Brunswick Power Corporation
- New Line Cinema
- New York City Marathon
- New York Daily News
- News 12
- OLN (Outdoor Life Network)
- Pacific Street Films
- People's Court
- Power House Productions
- Rachel Ray
- Rainforest Action Network
- Regional News Network
- Regis and Kelly Show
- Sesame Workshop
- Spin Magazine
- Sports Foundation Inc.
- Sports Illustrated
- Starwood Hotels
- Steiner Sports Marketing
- Summer Street Press
- The View
- Us Weekly
- Verve Records
- WABC TV
- WFAN-Sports Radio
- WFAS Westchester
- WNEW 102.7 FM
- WPLJ 95.5
- Walt Disney Company
- Warner Brothers
- Westchester News 12
- Women’s eNews
- YES Network
Ready to start your search but don't know where to begin? The following sites are an excellent place to start. Remember most sites are updated daily so check back frequently for new postings.
- Rising Star Internship - An internship database that allows you to search by topic or post a resume. There are specific sections for Media & Strategic Communication, Public Relations, Journalism and Advertising.
- Internjobs.com - This site features a searchable database that allows users to search based on key words. They offer a good range of communication related postings throughout the U.S.
- Jobs in Sports.com - This site features a variety of internships and jobs in the sports industry. To access the database users must subscribe to the service which costs $29.95 per month.
- Magazine Publishers of America - This site highlights internships and jobs in the magazine publishing industry. Although the site does not appear to have extensive listings of positions, the variety of positions is impressive (advertising, public relations, writing etc...).
- Walt Disney Company - This site features links to career information as well as internships within the Walt Disney Company. To access the internship information click on the link for Disney College.
- International Opportunities Program - This site features a listing of other web sites that provide information about internships abroad.
- Career Services Iona University's Career Services Department - This Department offers a wide range of career related services to both current students and alumni.