Our Core Curriculum provides a shared learning experience that prepares you to thrive as part of the Iona community, as well as in a diverse, ever-changing world. All students at Iona complete the Core Curriculum as part of their degree in order to graduate.
The Core Curriculum allows you to choose courses in an array of departments in the School of Arts & Science, the LaPenta School of Business, the Hynes Institute for Entrepreneurship & Innovation, and the NewYork-Presbyterian Iona School of Health Sciences. It provides you with skills and knowledge that will distinguish you as a highly educated and ethical person when you enter the work world.
Core Curriculum Overview
All students are required to complete the 45 credits of the Core Curriculum.
- Columba Cornerstone Seminar: 3 credits
- English Composition: 3 credits
- Humanities (Philosophy, Religious Studies, Literature, History, Fine and Performing Arts): 15 credits (3 credits in each area)
- STEM (Math, Lab Science, Computer Science): 9 credits (3 credits in each area)
- Economics, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology, Business, Entrepreneurship: 6 credits
- Diversity, Cross-Cultural, & Global Perspectives: 9 credits (3 credits of a language, 3 credits of Human Diversity, and 3 credits of Global Perspective)
In your first semester, you will take the three-credit theme-based freshman seminar Columba Cornerstone, which examines the many facets of human diversity, identity, and the connectedness of all human beings, and encourages you to consider new approaches to traditional problems. This course is linked to another core or introductory course in order to create a learning community for the cohort of students taking both courses.
In addition to the classroom component, each Cornerstone integrates co-curricular activities such as attending a performance by the Iona University Theatre Program, going on a Midnight Run service experience with Mission & Ministry, or attending an E-Talk with the Hynes Institute. You are required to engage in a minimum of two co-curricular activities guided by your professor.
All sections of the Columba Cornerstone, regardless of theme incorporate instruction on four topics which have been designed to ground you in essential learning that supports the entirety of your Iona experience. These topics include: The Iona Story, Diversity and Inclusion, Information and Digital Literacies, and Critical Thinking.