Student Life Diversity Committee
Under the Division of Student Life, the Student Life Diversity Committee consists of Iona University professionals and students who provide programs, support, and resources in order to enhance a diversity-positive campus community.
The committee partners with faculty and student groups and organizations in order to offer initiatives that encourage intercultural dialogue and ensures that the diverse voices of Iona students are heard. The committee engages students in topics that are of particular interest to them and facilitates programs on issues such as race and ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, spiritual identity, offensive language and symbols, and students with disabilities.
The committee also participates in the summer orientation program for all entering students, highlighting the importance of respect for all community membership. All students are welcome to become a part of the Diversity Committee and/or to offer suggestions for programs or other initiatives that would further enhance diversity at the College.
The Student Life Diversity Committee regards diversity as an asset and honors the myriad cultures, races, ethnicities, nationalities, religions, traditions, and other differences among students that enrich the Iona University community. Its mission is to support and enhance a welcoming, safe, and vibrant diversity-positive campus environment for all students at Iona University.
Goals of the Student Life Diversity Committee include:
- To conduct ongoing assessment of campus climate, student perceptions and needs, and College practices related to diversity
- To offer programs related to all aspects of diversity (i.e. race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, age, socioeconomic status and disability) for all members of the Iona community
- To promote inter-group dialogue among diverse student cohorts
- To advocate on behalf of marginalized and under-served student cohorts with regard to access to resources, accommodations and other considerations
- To educate the larger campus community about the psychological, social, academic, cultural and spiritual needs of a diverse student population
- To collaborate with student organizations, faculty, staff, and other administrators to create a diversity-positive environment
The following members of the SLDC serve as Diversity Advocates. If you have a program idea, questions about diversity and inclusion initiatives, or have a concern, do not hesitate to contact any of us!
Dom Fowler - Director, Center for Student Engagement
Tameka Hastick - Coordinator, Mission Education Programs
Promise Jimenez - Vice Chair of Administration, Student Leader Alliance for Multiculturalism (SLAM)